Saturday, October 22, 2011

Galloping Goose

It got done. I would not say I did well. My time was 1:20:26, which was fine, I suppose. It was another dirt trail, and I have come to the conclusion that dirt trails are both harder and slower than my usual running on pavement and that this accounts for my slower times.

But the point is that promises were made and promises were kept.

It was me and blonde girl again (I kid you not, the same blonde girl was there, with her same friend, I recognized them at the start line), although I was ahead of her for much of the race and beat her again. But there were also two people who were not at all far ahead of me, so I didn't feel quite so much like I was the only one going this slow, since I wasn't. Near the finish line I saw this park ranger guy and I said to him "there is one more back there" (thinking that it was just me and blonde girl again at the finish), and he goes "no, there are four or five back there". Now, I am not going to say that didn't make me feel pretty good! It did.

So, it wasn't the unmitigated and amusing disaster that the last race was, but I didn't do as well as I know I can do (I guess maybe I never do at races), but I am happy that I did what I said I would do.

I talked to blonde girl and her friend after the race, they asked me if I was going around doing all the 10K's I could find, and I said hell no, I was training for a half and these were the ones that fit in. They were way impressed that I was training for a half marathon, which I found somewhat amusing. They also agreed that the dirt trail courses are just tougher than running on pavement (I told them how easy the Vegas course is supposed to be, and that all the Rock and Roll races I have done are on pavement), which did make me feel better about my less than stellar time.

Anyhoodle, it's done now, and I'm glad. I don't think I'm a big fan of the 10K. Next week, it's eight!

2 comments:

  1. dirt trails are totally harder than pavement, because your body has to focus on traction and balance a lot more. BD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was totally harder! And the trail was really uneven, so the whole race I was always trying to find the most level spot on the trail, and trying to make sure I didn't twist my ankle in the process! I hate trail running!

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!