Monday, March 23, 2009

Foot

I did 3.5 today just for the hell of it. Cause I felt like it. Even though this is my normal day off.

"I walk like this cuz I can back it up." -Beyonce

Meant to tell you about my foot. The MRI just showed bruising and swelling on my metatarsals but no evidence of fracture or other major malfunction. My doctor suggested crosstraining with swimming and/or water running (which is never gonna happen). But, I've found that now that I'm doing some running on the treadmill (which has a much better cushion) and on the road runs I stick to asphalt rather than concrete sidewalks, its gotten a lot better. You'll have to let me know how the insoles work.

And yeah, I definitely recommend the gel packs. You can just swig them down in one nasty gulp and then chase them with water, whereas the jelly beans you have to chew and eat, which can be rather nasty when you're hot from running and your mouth is all sticky. They give those gel packs out at different places on the course and the water stations tend to alternate between water and gatorade or have both so you can choose. I plan to bring a gel pack with me in my pocket but that's all.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you ran for the hell of it! That's a good sign. How often do you eat/drink something besides water? I mean, how many miles do you go before you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I only bring water on a run 10 mi or longer, and I only ate a gel pack when I did the 15, I took it at about mile 9 I think. But remember my body is more accustomed to running so if 5 is your wall then try it there. The key is to get it figured out before the race because you don't want to try anything new on race day.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!