Saturday, March 21, 2009

7.5 ugly miles

It was supposed to be 8 miles, but I only really did 5. Here's what happened. I am consistently so fatigued at mile 5 that I decided I probably need something besides water at some point in the run, since I am out there for at least 2 hours depending on my time. I thought maybe that would help my endurance... after all, that's what those electrolyte replacement drinks are out there for. So I looked for recipes to make my own "gatorade." I put a cup of orange juice, 9 tablespoons of sugar, 3/8 teaspoon of salt, and 2 liters of water. I tasted it and it was ok so I put it in my camelback instead of water. So the first 2 1/2 miles were really good. My mouth didn't feel dry, I didn't feel thirsty, was taking it real easy because I really wanted to go the whole 8 miles today. But by the 3rd mile, my mouth was getting all sticky and slimy, and I was already feeling tired, which is not normal. By the 4th mile I decided the drink was a really big mistake, so I decided to get rid of it. I was going by a Domino's pizza and the OPEN sign was lit, so I went in and asked for some water. "Oh," the youngish man behind the counter says, "We really don't have water." Really? You don't wash your hands? I didn't say anything, just left because there is a gas station/convenience store not much farther down the road and I was pretty sure they had a bathroom. But I started choking up and trying not to cry, because of the sheer meanness of that kid not being willing to give me any water. I walked along, trying to get my breathing back to normal because it was kind of hitching, because I was trying not to cry. I got to the gas station, found the bathroom, dumped out most of the juice drink, and filled up with water. I drank quite a bit because I was really thirsty by then. So I got back on the road, but I just never recovered from the long stop. After the fifth mile, I stopped running all together and powerwalked for a while. Then I even gave that up. My feet were absolutely searing with pain, I hurt from the waist down, and I realized I had waited too long to go because it was getting really hot out. My stomach was cramping up, which has never happened before. I trudged home, thinking the whole time that I must be crazy thinking that I could actually do a half marathon. I thought, I am going to quit. I'm just not going to do this. So I got home and cried, and then remembered that Sandy told me everyone has a bad run now and then. I went and ate sushi with Marianne and Chris, and now I am resting in bed. It's been a tough day. I did some more research about when and how much to drink, and I definitely need for some of my hydration to be a sports drink. I think next time I will buy gatorade, and make one part gatorade to 8 parts water or something like that. I'm going to take it real easy this week, to see if that helps my feet. I am also going to buy new insoles and some of those gel cushions you can put in your shoe to cushion the ball of your foot. I have to believe everything will work out because I really want to do this half marathon.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! Wow. Yeah, stopping during a run really just ruins things. And I have to say that you should splurge on some real gatorade!! But honestly I think water is best during the run as long as you've had enough to eat, and then gatorate to replace your electrolytes after. I made the mistake of filling up on gatorade during a bike ride once, its yuck. Oh and I would definitely write a nasty letter to Dominos!! Its not like you were some freakin homeless person. What a jackass.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!