Tuesday, August 2, 2016

3 things went wrong (or gym politics)

Have I ever steered you wrong?
Have I ever strung you along?
- Decemberists

I packed my gym clothes and brought them to my meeting. I headed straight from my meeting to the gym. I desperately searched my car for headphones and was sorely disappointed. Undaunted, I went into the locker room and changed. Wherein I realized I had a thin headband but no ponytail holder. Which any woman recognizes as the kiss of death to a workout dream. Whilst contemplating this tragedy I realized I forgot my inhaler in the car, which would make any attempt at running more difficult. My allergies have been intolerable. So I went back out to my car and returned my gym bag, and commenced a second futile search for headphones, which again failed. Back in the gym I filled up my water and headed up to treadmill land only to realize I forgot my inhaler again. I bowed my head and kept moving forward, recognizing that if I returned to my car again I would most likely drive away. Fast. So I hopped on and started slowly and focused on controlling my breath. I turned my music up high so I could hear it, which of course meant everyone else could as well. But I will be damned if I'm gonna run without my tunes. Plus everyone else remembered their headphones. Guy comes up and gets on the machine next to me, which I find slightly annoying because there are six empty treadmills NOT next to me. But I ran on. Girl comes up and gets on the machine on my other side, which severely annoyed me because there are FIVE OTHER EMPTY TREADMILLS THAT ARE NOT NEXT TO ME. And she has the kahonas to look oddly at my blaring phone. I looked at her and was going to offer to move if it bothered her, given the plethora of other treadmill choices. But she wouldn't look at me. So I ran on. And then I heard her HUMMING. As if to drown out my music. Because goddess knows she couldn't have possibly selected a treadmill away from the nut job with the blaring phone. But I digress. All of this is to say that three sweaty hair flinging miles got done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!