Sunday, September 2, 2012

White Hot

I'm white hot
I can't take it anymore
I'm white hot
Yes I'm burning to the core
-Red Rider

I set out today with grand designs and no plan on how to achieve them.  I thought I would do a reunion tour and run by the houses of my three good college friends who live close enough.  I had no idea how long of a run this would be, but I knew it would take me through 3 cities and roughly 6-8 miles.  Seemed like it would work.  Guess what - it didn't.

It started out fine as I jogged into the neighboring city and ran past the first friend's house.  Of course, as I've come to expect, no one was standing in the front yard with water.  Then I realized that I had no idea the best way to go to the next destination.  There's a major highway, railroad tracks, and lots of dead end streets in between.  I pick a route and start running and then realize it is just too damn hot for this ambitious of a run today.  As you know, I always assign a reason whenever I stop running and today is no different.  Sometimes these reasons are normal - right knee pain, back pain, lungs not getting it done, and sometimes they are not (waffles).  Today's reason is somewhere in between - too damn hot.  So at about the three mile point I started to walk and head straight back home.  On this walk I compared my reasons for stopping running to explanations in professional sports - like when Tim Duncan was held out of a game this year with the reason - old.  Or when someone snuck Sergei Fedorov onto the injury report during his holdout with the reason - wallet.  These thoughts cheered me up enough and some fortuitous cloud cover appeared and I was able to run the last 1.5 miles.  Total distance was 5.5 with a one mile walk mixed in.

After the run I went out and bought a cucumber and lime Gatorade - the whole time thinking about Will Ferrell in The Other Guys.  There's a scene where he and Marky Mark are looking for information and the antagonist distracts them with free tickets to shows and water with cucumber wedges.  Further proof that Will Ferrell can make anything funny.  And he is right , the cucumber does accent the Gatorade ...

By the way - here it is if you want to enjoy it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3IQNPCIZ-k

1 comment:

  1. Well if you give us a 10 minute warning I'll come out with water next time! :)

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!