Sunday, April 13, 2014

Dark side of the mountain

Oh lady, running down to the riptide,
taken away to the dark side
- Vance Joy, Riptide

Sometimes the defining moment in a run comes in the first quarter mile, and that was the case today. I was grumbling in my head about how crowded the mountain trail was, although it was a gorgeous morning- mid 70's and a little breeze blowing. I caught a toe and full out fell in front of about 10 people. Of course I bounced back up and kept running, and the people averted their eyes except for the last couple, who inquired if I was ok. After I was in the clear I stopped to assess the damage - road rash on one knee and palm, and a broken thumbnail. And now my other knee is the one that hurts. I did the mountain yesterday too, and it was tough, so maybe I was just fatigued. You have to do the mountain regularly or she will chew you up and spit you out. Anyway, I kept going and my ankle collapsed pretty badly on the way down, but I didn't fall. And then I did fall again, right in front of some guy who actually caught my arm. Ugh. So I gave up and walked the rest of the way lest I not survive this run. Anyway, Riptide is a great song to bop along to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!