Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A big weekend that doesn't count

You're wide awake tossing
And you can't even sleep
With all these secrets you keep
The way home is so steep
Airborne Toxic Event, Time To Be A Man


I've been neglectful of my blogging so I apologize to the fans. I hiked 30 miles in 3 days in the Grand Canyon this last weekend. We hiked 10.5 miles down to Havasupai in Friday, the first two of which was a pretty steep decline and all I could think about was how daunting this would be on the way out. Add to that a record heat wave and I was intimidated. We got to camp Friday afternoon exhausted and dirty, and the only place to lay down was a 110 degree tent. And yes I took a short miserable nap in there. Saturday we did a 7 mile hike to more falls. We got up at 4:30 Sunday and left at 5:20 in an attempt to beat the heat but alas, the last two miles of switchbacks were still in partial sunlight. It was difficult to say the least but I only stopped once on the way out to change my water bottle at about half a mile from the top. And I felt pretty good yesterday but I took the day off. So now we're on June 7 and I have no running miles this month. So I will get after it today. I did end up with 60.5 miles and 9 yogas in May so a good month and I'm on pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!