Monday, May 30, 2016

Recovery

 This goes out to all the women getting it in you're on your grind
To other men that respect what I do please accept my shine
Boy you know you love it how we're smart enough to make these millions
Strong enough to bear the children then get back to business

          Queen Bey

I used to hear about "recovery runs", these maniacs who would run a few miles the day after some very long distance and call it recovery. I thought the idea was crazy, but in recent years I've decided there is some merit to the concept. Although what I find is that it only feels good and better if you do something different than what you put so much effort into the day before. So taking an easy hike the day after a long run will make you feel better, and doing an easy run after a challenging hike can be good. 

So yesterday I did a grueling 8.5 mile hike. I had told Chris I wanted a challenging hike for Memorial Day, a mistake I don't intend to repeat. But I did climb the mountain and then today I did a three mile treadmill run, which was good. I tried to follow it up with yoga, which did not go as well, and then with some hot tub time which was excellent. 

The month of May is my worst running month ever. Just so everyone knows. Between getting sick and graduation and a new puppy, I've been a bit busy, which is almost never an excuse I use, but this month....was just rough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!