Sunday, November 23, 2014

They Tried To Make Me Go To Rehab

The man said "why you think you here?"
I said "I have no idea."

                      - Amy Winehouse

I can't remember if I blogged about it, but I ditched my boring gym that had nothing but treadmills and ellipticals but had the advantage of being cheap, and bought a membership to our local rec center, which boasts all kinds of things I might enjoy, like an indoor track, lots of classes, a lap pool and a whirlpool. So I've gone there a few times now and am very much enjoying myself. 

Today I ran three treadmill miles, next to some dumb lady in a running skirt and coordinated layering tops, which she progressively shed while walking. She ran a little but she mostly fidgeted, pulled, tugged, and otherwise adjusted her outfit. She had clearly put much more thought into the outfit than she had into the workout, as people who wear running skirts are prone to do. Meanwhile I was next to her in some capris I have literally worn for four years running and an old camisole that used to be white and I hadn't even brushed my teeth. But I will say this: I was still on that treadmill after she got off and I started before her. Some of us go to the gym to work out, see?

Then I wet to the pool and swam ten laps, and by laps I mean slowly propelling myself through the water in any way I see fit,  which nevertheless managed to take me 22 minutes and nearly killed me. 

Then I hit the whirlpool. I was initially very skeptical about it because it is right in there with the leisure pool where all the kids are, so I figured it would be full of annoying children with parents who aren't paying attention. But I was pleasantly surprised to discover that kids under six aren't allowed at all and kids between six and twelve have to have an adult actually IN the water with them. And they must enforce the rules, because there were plenty of kids and parents but only me and two old men in the whirlpool. So it's nice, I can soak in some hot water while being reasonably certain nobody is peeing in it (although let's face it... You can never fully trust old men not to pee in the whirlpool). 

And now I am rewarding myself with a chipotle burrito whilst watching some football, and napping on the couch of righteousness. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!