Friday, August 30, 2013

Minimal Sleep and Mexican Food

All my rage
Sits inside
When even the finest things
Are leaving you hollow
-Better Than Ezra

Minimal Sleep and Mexican Food.  That's going to be the title of my long distance running self-help book.  It turns out that it is a crappy way to train.  Who knew?  Why am I on this regimen?  Well, last night we saw Better Than Ezra (and ate Mexican food at the restaurant next door to the show).  It was a good show, even though they don't seem to know what their best songs are.  You would think the band would know these things.  I was disappointed not to hear This Time of Year, At The Stars, Hollow, and Porcelain.  We did get a lot of other good stuff, including a very involved Hall & Oates joke, a bang-on ZZ Top impression, and some great BTE songs.  Good show - but I am the old man who wants shows to start earlier...

Anyway, with that preparation I ran 3 miles today.  Slooooooowly.  It was warm (obligatory heat check).  During my run, I was about to cross a residential street when a mail truck made a left turn right in front of me.  I saw him the whole time so it wasn't a big deal, but I did wonder why he had to cut me off.  Then I imagined Jack Bauer driving the mail truck and yelling "Federal Agent" at me as he took the corner.  Which is something postal employees should shout more often.  Then I wondered if Jack Bauer was a mail carrier which rules he would break in the name of the greater good.  Then I wondered if my brain was permanently damaged or if it was just temporary insanity causing me to think these crazy thoughts.  Jack Bauer is played by a Canadian - he wouldn't pass the background check at the PO.  None of this could happen.  Crazy.  At least these are secrets inside my head that no one else will ever know...

Anyway...Hollow is in.  It's OK that it isn't on the set list for this tour.  It's still cool with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGH_ONzb7_E

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!