Sunday, December 29, 2013

Beautiful day

Don't let it slip away
It's a beautiful day
- U2

It has been a beautiful week actually, with several mountain runs. On Thursday I ran the Bell Pass trail to the top, which is 3200 feet up. It wasn't as hard this time as it has been in the past, and no flies or other companions to keep me company, so it was a nice solitary 7 mile run and the last half mile is pretty much straight up. My quads ached on Fri so I just did a lazy 3 down to the gym and back. I had my iPod on random and stumbled across the Legend of Bobby Dunbar, which is just such a compelling and sad mystery that it draws you in and it's wonderful to run to. I need to find more like that. I took Sat off for refinishing my bathroom cabinets, which simply isn't as easy as it looks. I can't decide if it looks rustic and antique, or sloppy and amateur. I'm going with fashionable. And I've also decided to outsource the refinishing of the kitchen cabinets to professionals. Today I once again hit the mountain around noon for lack of anything else to do and I have to say its time for tourists to go home. They are crowding my gym and dressed inappropriately and lugging babies and toy dogs and they don't have the common courtesy to move to the right so runners can pass. Two days left in the month to pump up my annual total. Blista sista and I have come to an agreement that 600 miles will be the stretch goal for 2014. Consistency will most certainly be key, which is a much bigger deal for me since I tend to take guiltless vacations from running whilst she does not. She says she is afraid she won't start again if she takes a break, which I find interesting, especially given that she is the most tenacious among us with her training regimen.
But back to my beautiful day - my babies invited me out for a movie and dinner. I'm always so happy when we all spend fun time together, and those days grow further and further apart. After dinner we all lay on my bed talking. It was beautiful. I don't know where it comes from or when it comes, but I always do feel so blessed when it does.

1 comment:

  1. A few years ago I was talking to this friend of mine, who had stopped eating pork and beef for a really long time, like years and years. And he was telling me that he had gone to Europe, and before he left there he determined that he was not going to limit himself because he really wanted to experience all the cuisine. But once he got there, he found himself scanning the menu for the chicken and vegetable options, and not eating the red meat. He just couldn't break the habit, at that point it was just part of what he did, part of who he was. It's like that for me with running on vacations. It started out that I was worried I wouldn't get back to it if I took a break. But now, it's just not something I even think about anymore. We go on vacation… and I figure out how I am going to fit in the runs, it's just part of the equation. Same with business trips. I can't seem to NOT do it. I don't feel like I'm torturing myself or ruining my vacations or anything, it's just part of what I do.

    ReplyDelete

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!