Sunday, May 17, 2009

first long

It's good to hear from you Sandy. I am envious of the way you can take 2 weeks off, then get up and run 5 miles, just like that.
I attempted my first long since the 1/2 marathon today. I planned to go 6 miles and my goal was to be under 15-minute miles. I also wanted to run the whole thing. My long term goal is to do the next 1/2 marathon in 3 hours 4 minutes, which is 14-minute miles. Somehow I forgot to make the turn I needed to make, and kept going up Houghton instead. By the time I realized, it was too late, so I continued on Houghton to the freeway and then turned around. After about an hour I was just too tired to go on, so I stopped my timer and slowly walked home. I mapped it and the whole thing was actually 6.5 miles.
I ran most of 4.4 miles, which is close enough to the 6 I had planned, and did 14.7 minute miles, which is progress. So all together I feel pretty good about it. I think I'll do 5 mile longs until I can do them with 14-minute miles, and then slowly increase the distance. I also think I will do a run:walk ratio of 2 minutes: 30 seconds. There's really no reason for me to run the whole way because walking works a different set of muscles, so I want to do both. Also my ankle is none too happy, so maybe the walk breaks will allow it to heal from whatever is wrong with it.
A mile is a mile, and 100 calories per mile means 670 calories for today, so that somewhat compensates for the Lucky Wishbone, 5 donuts, and Panda Express I had this past week. It's bound to be another hard week... the last 3 days of school will push my patience to its limits, and then I have Jessica's graduation, which I am prepared for in every way except emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you've stopped by, leave a comment!